25×20 Energy Benchmarking
The St. Louis High Performance Building Initiative is excited to challenge buildings in our region to benchmark building energy use, aiming for a 25% reduction in building energy consumption by the year 2020.
What is Benchmarking? It’s measuring how much energy a building consumes and comparing this to other buildings.
Why Benchmark? According, to ENERGY STAR data, buildings who benchmark for three years saw an average energy savings of 7%. You can’t manage what you don’t measure!
How can you get involved?
- Step 1. Take the 25×20 Pledge to Benchmark Your Building.
- Step 2. Find out how your building stacks up against similar facilities by enrolling in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager and benchmarking your building! Then report your data to the High Performance Building Initiative through ENERGY STAR, so we can track the region’s success.
- Step 3. Use benchmarking results to inform your plans to save energy & money – and to aim for the goal of reducing energy use by 25% by the year 2020!
ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager is a free and secure online tool that tracks energy and water consumption, as well as greenhouse gas emissions. Any building can use ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager to manage energy and water use – schools, governments, congregations, businesses and retail stores. The 25 x 20 Benchmarking Campaign aligns with the City of St. Louis’ goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 25% by 2020.
CHECK OUT THE 25 x 20 Collection on the Green Building Information Gateway (www.gbig.org), where all participants who have submitted their data to the High Performance Building Initiative are featured!
Need some help to get started?
- Sitton Energy Solutions has offered a FREE Consultation to support the High Performance Building Initiative and the St. Louis Green Business Challenge. Their two part offer includes: 1) Free Energy Benchmarking in ENERGY STAR and calculation of your Energy Use Intensity (EUI) for buildings over 20,000 square feet and served by Ameren. This makes you eligible to take the 25 x 20 pledge; 2) Assistance creating a Roadmap to High Performance Buildings. See their offer here.
- Microgrid Energy has offered assistance with benchmarking to anyone taking the pledge and also participating in the St. Louis Green Business Challenge.
- Are you a local government, congregation, non-profit or small business? USGBC-Missouri Gateway’s Advocacy Committee may be able to help with benchmarking mentors.
Congratulations and THANK YOU to our 25 x 20 Participants (as of July 20, 2016):
Click on the links below to see 25 x 20 Case Studies!
- 100 North Broadway, managed by Hertz Investment Group
- 501 N Broadway, Stifel Building, managed by Cushman & Wakefield
- 600 Washington, managed by DTZ
- Bank of America Plaza
- Bethesda Health Group
- Bishop DuBourg High School
- Burns & McDonnell
- Catholic Student Center at Washington University
- Central Reform Congregation
- Christ Church, UCC
- City of Creve Coeur
- City of University City
- Commerce Bank
- CxE Group Energy Consultants
- Deloitte Building, managed by Harbor Group Management Company
- EPC, Inc.
- Episcopal Church of Holy Communion
- The Ethical Society of St. Louis
- Express Scripts
- First Congregational Church of St. Louis
- First Congregational Church of Webster Groves
- Frisco Building, 906 Olive Street, managed by Mark Twain Partners
- Global Products, Inc.
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
- Grace Episcopal Church
- Green Dining Alliance (GDA)
- Green Street St. Louis
- Immacolata Catholic Church
- Kirkwood School District
- Kuhlmann Leavitt, Inc.
- Lafayette Park United Methodist Church
- Lawrence Group
- Lewis and Clark Community College
- Lutheran Church of the Atonement
- Maryville University Saint Louis
- Metropolitan Square Building managed by Jones Lang LaSalle
- Microgrid Energy
- Mid-County YMCA
- Missouri American Water – Service Center
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- Missouri Department of Conservation Powder Valley Nature Center
- Missouri History Museum
- New Life Community Church
- New Northside Missionary Baptist Church
- Parkway School District
- Parkway United Church of Christ
- St. John’s Episcopal Church
- Saint Louis Cardinals
- Saint Louis University
- Saint Louis Zoo
- SCI Engineering Inc
- Sigma-Aldrich Corporation
- Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
- Sitton Energy Solutions
- St. Louis College of Pharmacy
- St. Louis Youthbuild
- St. Mary Magdalen Catholic Church
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Ferguson
- SunRise United Methodist Church – O’Fallon
- SunRise United Methodist Church – Wright City
- Sue Slocomb, Building Manager at 1015 Associates, LLC
- SWT Design
- Third Baptist Church
- Thomas Dunn Learning Center
- University of Missouri – St. Louis
- University United Methodist Church
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Webster Groves Presbyterian Church
- Webster University
Questions? Contact USGBC-Missouri Gateway Chapter at 314.577.0854 or