The United States Office of Management and Budget released its plan for the proposed 2018 budget, which includes elimination of or deep cuts to vital programs.
USGBC and many others in the building industry rely on these tools from EPA to create and sustain high performing green buildings! Our 20 x 20 Voluntary Energy Benchmarking Campaign uses ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager to help building owners track and improve their energy performance. Portfolio Manager is also the basis for earning energy performance credits in LEED Building Operations + Maintenance. It is free tool with a proven track record that helps reduce energy use, lower energy costs, and protect the health of humans and the environment. Win-win-win!
SIGN USGBC’s LETTER NOW to ensure that the Energy Star, WaterSense and Safer Choice programs at EPA continue.
Want to do more? Contact your elected official directly and let your support for these programs be heard. Below are a few talking points about ENERGY STAR that might be helpful.
- ENERGY STAR is the most widely recognized symbol for energy efficiency, with a brand awareness of about 90%.
- In 2015 alone, American consumers and businesses saved over $34 billion with the help of ENERGY STAR.
- Since 1992, ENERGY STAR has assisted companies and consumers save $430 billion on utility bills.
Approximately 45% of the commercial building floor space in the U.S. has been benchmarked for tracking and analyzing energy consumption using ENERGY STAR’s Portfolio Manager.
- Since 1999, ENERGY STAR has certified more than 28,000 buildings and more than 5 billion square feet of space.
- ENERGY STAR has more than 3,100 home builder partners who constructed almost 1.8 million certified new homes since 1995. Many of these properties also pursue additional private sector certifications like LEED.
Additionally, President Trump recently signed an executive order rolling back the Clean Power Plan. This threatens our ability to limit and deal with climate change. We encourage you to contact your elected officials to express your support of the need to #DefendClimate. A few talking points below:
- Climate change threatens human health and our ability to continue doing business. Secretary of Defense James Mattis recently asserted that climate change is real and a threat to American national security.
- In a recent poll, 59% of voters oppose a repeal of climate change regulations.
- Climate action is necessary to protect our future.
Find your elected officials contact information below: